Adelante Hispanic Achievers, Inc. was founded in 2005 with the goal of inspiring Hispanic students to work toward successful futures from a young age. In the decade before the program began, Louisville saw a 122% growth in its Hispanic population, but the city’s resources for Hispanic students were not increasing at the same pace. Adelante started offering twice-monthly “Mentoring & Enrichment” workshops for 25 middle school students. Today, Adelante serves serve 145 students across seven programs each week. 100% of student participants are Hispanic/Latino, first-generation-to-college immigrant and refugee youth, age 11-18, and attend middle and high schools in Louisville. Adelante's model includes intensive individual and group instruction, one-on-one tutoring and mentoring, career exposure, and community service opportunities.
Adelante’s mission is to inspire and empower Hispanic youth and their families to become self-sufficient, successful individuals with the skills and knowledge they need to achieve their dreams and contribute as creative, educated world citizens.
1. Become high academic achievers, and maintain excellent grades, GPAs, and school attendance;
2. Graduate from high school college-ready and prepared for post-secondary success;
3. Develop leadership skills and civic responsibility they can carry into their futures; and
4. Gain a deeper grasp of their own and others’ cultures so they can understand their situations in a broader human context.
5. Build a culture of education and success within Louisville’s growing Latino population
In 11 years of operation, Adelante has served over 600 "at-risk" students.
- Adelante serves 145 students each week during the school year across 4 programs.
- Students and parents commit to the program. Two-thirds of families continue in Adelante for three or more years.
- Adelante students excel with an average GPA of 3.19, and an overall school attendance rate of 96%!
- Achievers who continue in Adelante for 3+ years perform even better with an average 3.39 GPA.
Hispanic students in Jefferson County, KY have the lowest high school graduation rates at and second lowest bachelor’s degree attainment rates.
- 100% of Adelante’s students graduate high school and are attending their college of choice with academic scholarships.
- 60% of the county's Latino students not served by the program attend a two-year university, while 86% of Adelante graduates have enrolled in a four-year university.
Adelante has 21 high school graduates who were in the program since middle school. Of those students, two have graduated from college, and the rest are currently enrolled.