Adelante is a volunteer-based program that began with twice monthly, Saturday mentoring and enrichment workshops to 25 middle-school students. It now serve 135 students across seven programs weekly, including: Mentoring & Enrichment, After School Tutoring programs, College Readiness, Ambassadors, Bellarmine Academy Martes, and TJX Scholarships. Adelante uses a wraparound model to serve students long term; students enter in grade six and continue through high school graduation. They focus on the holistic and individual development of each student, including academics, career exploration, cultural awareness, and personal/social development. They engage parents as partners and create sense of community. Each student is expected to set and meet high educational, personal, and career goals. To meet these goals they are surrounded with supportive, informed adults including parents, mentors, tutors, and community leaders.
Adelante’s mission is to inspire and empower Hispanic youth and their families to become self-sufficient, successful individuals with the skills and knowledge they need to achieve their dreams and contribute as creative, educated world citizens.
1. Become high academic achievers, and maintain excellent grades, GPAs, and school attendance
2. Graduate from high school college-ready and prepared for post-secondary success
3. Develop leadership skills and civic responsibility they can carry into their futures
4. Gain a deeper grasp of their own and others’ cultures so they can understand their situations in a broader human context
5. Build a culture of education and success within Louisville’s growing Latino population
In 11 years of operation, Adelante has served over 600 "at-risk" students.
• Average GPA: 3.22
• Advance Placement and Honors class participants: 50% of students.
• High school graduation rate: 100%
• Attend college of choice on academic scholarships: 100%
Adelante has 21 high school graduates who were in the program since middle school. Of those students, two have graduated from college, and the rest are currently enrolled.